Saturday, December 1, 2012

Undisciplined (or) not Disciplined?

Discipline…this is a huge buzzword around here. “We’re not disciplined.” “They are not disciplined.” “Drivers lack discipline.” Blah, blah, blah….

I have the grave misfortune of being forced to take a class called “Moral Recovery and Restoration”. School has been in session for a month and we just had our first class last week. This is totally normal at my school by the way, and as it turns out, class is cancelled this week too. As it was explained to me, this is a class designed to restore the moral values of the country (AND) wait for it…the discipline. True to the school’s mission statement, this is a class designed to develop “responsible, patriotic and noble Filipinos”.

What they mean by “discipline” is someone’s willingness to follow rules. This got me thinking about the school’s soft approach regarding discipline. They go out of their way to have a full blown class to tell students that they should follow rules, when in fact; all they need to do to accomplish their goal is to…wait for it…..actually enforce the rules they already have.

So what I’m saying is this: if you want disciplined students, then you need to quit treating your rules like guidelines, and actually discipline your students. This is pretty simple.

I honestly believe that the root of the “discipline” problem is that people don’t know which rules are important and which ones are not. Some people are just dishonest and self-centered, but the majority of folks want to do what is right. A lot of this stuff seems like common sense to an outsider; like not cutting in line, not cheating, etc. But you have to keep in mind that you likely came from an environment that actually enforced these rules/norms, and you were conditioned for years and years to conform, so now deviation makes you feel “strange”.

I’ll use myself as an example. There are signs in classrooms that read “no eating, drinking, or smoking”, but I carry a water bottle with me everywhere and drink it all day long.  I consider that rule to be more of a guideline and I’ve justified this “rule breaking” in my mind. “It’s just water, blah, blah, blah”. I’ve justified my behavior in my own mind and no one seems to give two shits about it, so I don’t either. Does that make me an undisciplined person?  That’s a grey area, and the answer depends on perspective.

So here I sit in a college full of “adults” that can’t seem to follow even the basics of social consideration; like waiting your turn in line or not talking at 100 decibels in the library. This basic stuff is rarely enforced via institution or by individuals. Therefore, these self-centered individuals just do whatever the hell they want, as the school sits around TALKING big with no real action.  

Then you have the important stuff. I was in a class where the cheating during an exam was so bad that I literally couldn’t concentrate and I requested to take my exam in another room. The students were talking throughout and exchanging papers and the teacher didn’t say shit. Do you see my point? These students are undisciplined BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT BEING DISCIPLINED. If the institution actually cared about their own mission statement, they would have enforced their own rule and suspended the entire class.

So the message that they are sending with these contradictions is that you will leave this institution as a “responsible and noble Filipino” but cheating is okay. The message is that cheating is a grey area, just like my water bottle example. “Rules are merely guidelines, so justify cheating, plagiarism, and generally rude behavior anyway you see fit, young noble.”

No comments:

Post a Comment